Wednesday 2 October 2024

 

My remembrances from Nayagarh to Markendeswar Sahi

Most of my childhood’s holiday destination was Hari Mamu’s house. If my parents had some arguments in the weekends one of the options my mother very frequently adopted was t o take me to Hari Mamu’s place. Very often this tempest departure from home by Bou was accompanied by my father’s presence at Hari Mamu’s house . Usually, their quixotic and queer fight remained for a short duration; by the time we used to come back home from Hari Mamu’s house, none could feel the semblance of the storm in the teacup two hours earlier.  However, these queer family fights of parents, by the sheer my luck, provided me opportunities to spend times with Hari Mamu. I had the good fortunes of spending several weekends with Mamu and other family-members during my childhood in Nayagarh. Both Bou and Bapa were Hari Mamu’s colleagues and were very close family friends. I had heard several stories from my father about how Kabana (Hari Mamu) brought in my parents’ marriage and arranged their wedding.  Many childhood memories of bonding and warmth with Mamun and his Family have remained etched in my memories and consciousness all through these years. Even though space and space have thrown our life part and there were very few occasions of personal connect, I always feel connected to him and entire family emotionally till date when I am about to step in to the 50th spring of my life.   

Persona that I admire: Mamun was always a charming, handsome, smart, creative, confident versatile person. He was an institution in himself; a very popular teacher, poet, lyricist, dramatist, good orator, play-director and over and above, a family person.  His persona compelled many to admire him as a person; I was not an exception either! I remember his simple words, thoughts, actions, the way he used to carry himself, his perception towards life and constructive engagement in writings, music, play direction, sports, etc., His life-canvas was so varied , so satarangi, it was quite obvious that it was so different and unique. He was ever a free thinker and many years ahead of his age. I heard about his heavenly aboard while I am far away now in Juba South Sudan, with a specific official work.  My solitude here hastened  a flash back of so many memories with him.

Memories: In my childhood, I grew up singing patriotic songs, bhajans written and composed by him for several competitions organized in Nayagarh district around Independence and Republic Days. Those events brought me many laurels that made me feel good as a child and I cherished them for long time.  It was a regular feature of having some time together, singing songs, listening to his poetry, having good food, playing, chatting, listening to his life experiences, etc. Unfortunately, many of them have faded out in the sands of time.

In childhood Nayagarh College sports days, Annual day functions, picnics, get-togethers were opportunities to meet parent’s friends and colleagues. Those times I have seen his engagement with pupils for song, play practice and giving directions, etc. If I remember correctly, he was always leading the cultural program in Nayagarh College. It was fun for us all children to watch the college teachers seating in the front row and in between, peeped into the dressing room to see favorite characters and Mamu’s guidance to them. I had great liking  for all these cultural functions may be, I had an innate interest in music, dance, dramas, etc. I still vividly remember the kabi samilani, I attended in Nayagarh  with Manu, may be at the age of 8. I had written an odia poetry, he did the editing and taught me how to recite it. He  took me to the function in which I was the youngest one.

After leaving Nayagarh I had met him very sparingly. I went with him from Kendrapara to Nayagarh on a vacation trip after my 10-standard exam. Lot of memories of that trip are still fresh,  meeting his literary friends in Cuttack, having good food in Bhubaneswar. Nonetheless, I always feel so connected, loved and blessed whenever I had met him, mayin (maternal aunty), and other members of his family in different phases of life. My husband (Umakant Mishra), Son (Prathamesh) and I could meet him last in March 2023 and took his blessings at his residence in Markendeswar Sahi, Puri. That was my last meeting with Mamu in person. I am so thankful and obliged to him for all love and care he had showered on me and my family throughout my life.

Wishes for his happiness in heaven:  Mamu, you passed off peacefully after a courageous battle with a serious disease like renal failure. I heard from Nuru Bhaina while in the ICU, you with your smiling face prayed God “kandei kandei anithila hasei hasei naba” (you brought me crying and now take me away with a smile on my face). That’s so inspiring. I wish I will embrace my death with a smile like you when it comes. I wish you all the happiness in life after. You deserve the best place in your afterlife-abode and my father must be so happy to have his Kabana with him nearby! Both of you have great time together and rest in peace.  Keep blessing us from where you are! 

I will remember you ever specially while singing one of my most favorite songs, bhajan “Dhali dia sara dharanire Aji tumariasisha Dhara”.

With regards, loads of love,

Simi (Biraja Kabi Satapathy)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment